Reporting to the Vice President, Global Benefits and Employee Mobility, this position will provide team leadership, strategic and day-to-day expertise and direction for all US benefit programs. Programs include health, insurance, retirement, absence, disability management and wellness. As part of the overall responsibilities, this role will focus across strategy, competitive analysis, design, delivery and governance. It requires extensive knowledge of US benefit market trends, regulations and tax laws, as well as strong leadership, decision making and interpersonal skills to enable effective delivery and interactions with the team, US employees and retirees, HR peers, vendors, consulting partners and industry peers.
- Manage teams responsible for HP US benefits design, strategy and administration
- Lead and facilitate career growth and development for each direct report
Strategic leadership and discernment:
- Foster and maintain positive relationships with HR, HR Global Services, Finance, Legal, Procurement, Real Estate and other strategic business partners. Facilitate and improve engagement model where needed.
- Act as business consultant and advisor to the organization in redesigning and rolling-out benefits processes and programs to streamline and enhance workflow and increase employee appreciation of the benefit programs.
Benefit program ownership and delivery: In many cases, this role will have direct reports that are responsible for the benefits delivery; thus, the role is responsible for helping drive strategy and excellent operational delivery with the team. In some instances, this role will own items end to end.
- Evaluate and analyze current benefit programs to ensure that all plans remain market competitive and cost effective. Partner with internal and external experts (including benchmarking) to proactively investigate trends, best practices and costs and prepare and present recommendations to leadership regarding plan modifications.
- Lead and manage the US benefits team responsible for the administration and implementation of critical initiatives such as new medical plan designs (or changes), innovative wellness initiatives, and US benefits open enrollment for employees and their dependents, retirees and inactives. Optimize any outsourced delivery and proactively evaluate impact of all changes on plan participants and administrative practices.
- Lead directional strategy and setting of employee contributions (health) and plan design recommendations for benefit plans in the US.
- Manage relationships with external vendors and partners, including RFP, executive recommendations, selection, implementation, performance management, clinical effectiveness (where applicable), internal controls and active management and reporting out of service delivery metrics. Ensure assigned vendors are compliant with all regulatory requirements.
- Lead and provide strategic direction for US benefits communication and engagement strategy in alignment with Global guidelines and corporate communications requirements.
- Ensure compliance with HIPAA, FMLA, ERISA and all other regulations, including US healthcare reform.
- Develop and maintain pan-benefits dashboards and reporting, highlighting overall management, utilization and performance statistics that provide insights and directional recommendations.
- Align US governance with global governance where appropriate. Help with best practice sharing.
- Manage and/or participate in ad-hoc projects as needed.
- Lead the ongoing process and team responsible for the end to end Payroll Taxes and Benefits (PT&B) budget planning and oversight process for US benefits
- Ensure strategic benefit design focused on maximizing ROI and innovation where possible. Measure and track results and provide recommendations on action.
- Ensure checks and controls for all aspects of benefits related spend across all programs are documented, validated and tracked on a regular basis.
- Manage financial tracking and contract compliance.
- Provide strategic and impactful insights into benefits design and structure, as well as help the team develop and build new and creative approaches to support business needs.
Education and Experience Required
- First-level university degree required; advanced university degree in business preferred.
- Typically, 12+ years in benefits management for both US health and welfare and retirement, with significant strategic experience, including senior management influence.
Other Knowledge and Skills
- Strong knowledge of current market practices and trends in benefits.
- Strong project management and prioritization skills.
- Strong leadership and employee/career development skills.
- Ability to build partnerships across various functions.
- Strong communication skills – written, oral and presentation.
- Ability to manage complex administrative processes concurrently.
- Ability to multitask and manage multiple deliverables at one time
- Strong discernment and consulting skills.